Wednesday 25 January 2012

Any Male Contraceptives For Me?

My Dear Doctor,
Please your assistance will be urgently needed for medical advice I - I am preparing to marry a lady that will just want me to wed her immediately despite the fact that I’m not yet properly settled down; though I work now and I’m on level 08 in the Federal Civil Service. I still believe I should achieve a lot before marriage, but this my gal and love doesn’t want to wait an inch or a second. Meanwhile, my wedding is to come up in October 2012. It is for this reason that I have thought of applying the Family Planning method since I am not ready to be a father now.
Please advice. What family planning method will be best for me since I do not want to be a father for at least another year? And how do I apply it?
MKF, Badagry, Lagos

Dear MKF,
If you consider that men can always supply sperm to have a baby for themselves (whether they are 19 or 90) and contrast that fact with the truth that women cannot have babies beyond a certain age, you will understand why your sweetheart is in so much of a hurry to get married. Right on the other hand, marrying and waiting for a year before making babies like you want to, isn't such a bad idea. It’s a really a good way of having a prolonged honeymoon; it will also make for solidifying your love and relationship -- getting to know each other better before the intrusion and disruption of pregnancy and babies. My advice? Marry at once (send me the pictures, please) and gun for the baby soonest; okay? For males the most practical contraception method is the condom. Spilling it or withdrawal (where the man removes his penis from the vagina just before he ejaculates) is not to be recommended. It does not work for a whopping 20%, while condoms, properly applied fails in only 2% of users. Vasectomy or sterilization (a minor surgical operation, usually irreversible) where the sperm pipe or vas deferens is cut and tied off is usually chosen by men who, having already had some babies, do not want babies anymore. As for you, you have no babies yet, so you cannot qualify for this. Vasectomy fails in only 0.25%. Any other methods? Yes and No. No, if you consider that beyond the methods above, all others are still experimental and are the subjects of research. Yes if you want to be innovative and combine methods -- for enhanced effectiveness-- like if you use the condom and spermicidal jelly or cream together --the woman will have to insert this into her vagina by herself before intercourse. Why? So that if the condom even breaks, the spermicidal will still prevent pregnancy by killing all the sperm cells, all the same.
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment