Tuesday 20 December 2011

Danger in Steroidal Drugs For Weight Gain

Dear Dr. Bibbi Oluranti,
I thank God for the knowledge and wisdom He gave you, and the way you utilize it wisely. I am a regular reader of your column. My problem started when I was desperate to add weight last (2) two years ago.
I went to many dealers (chemists). Finally, I was recommended Dexacortin which I used --two and half bottles-- and it worked. After 8 months, I realized that there are strange pimples, dryness, skin thinning and irritation on my face and body. I went to a dermatologist who prescribed some drugs for me but I still noticed small amount of pimples and skin thinning while I weigh 80kg as of this month. Please doctor, help me for I have no other person to complain to; you are God's gift-- I believe your solution is final--I have the faith.
Thanks
F.J, Owerri; Imo

Dear F J
Like all the above has said it is true that the drug Dexacortin and other steroids can be abused in the manner you did. One of the commonest reasons why people do this is because they believe it will help them gain weight.--and it does!! Sportsmen abuse steroids because they are looking for stamina and increased muscle mass. But this is diseased weight--not normal at all.
The way to get rid of the evil side effects of the drug is to stop early and gradually. Where gradual withdrawal --using less and less amounts per time--is not possible or has not been done, the only thing is to give the body time to adjust and come back to its former balance--may take up to a year or more. Side effects like lowered sperm production in men and reduced size of testis--testicular atrophy-- and can be reversed while baldness and gynecomastia-- development of breast --cannot be reversed in men. In women, side effects include virilisation--making the woman more like a man-- no menses, more developed clitoris deepening voice decreased breast size and so on. Of course, the other side effects you mentioned must not be forgotten-- thinning hair, and so on. Again the more prolonged the use, the greater the likelihood that the results will become irreversible; so let me warn anyone abusing steroids (or any drugs for that matter) again--stop it-- IT IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU.
One other lesson we must not forget to teach is --beware self medication; beware chemists, nurses and other paramedics’ (not specifically mentioned in these letters) treatment -- always insist on seeing a doctor.
You can call the help lines and ask for help to resolve lingering side effects
Cheers
Dr Caleb Bibbi Oluranti

No comments:

Post a Comment