Monday 28 November 2011

Belly Pains At Night

Dear Dr Bibbi,
I am a regular reader of the Tuesday edition of the Sun newspaper. Of all the columns, yours is my best. This is so because I have learnt and share with people their experiences and problems. May God continue to grant you wisdom. Doctor, my problem is about pains which I experience at the left side of the abdomen. These pains started about two years ago; when I was a member of the Karate club. I thought it was because of stomach exercise until the pain persisted even when I stopped the exercise. These pains mostly occur at night. Please, doctor what do you think is the cause? What test should I perform-- X-rays; scan etc? I really need your help. Your reply could be by e-mail or on my favorite column on Tuesday. Thanks for your help.
Yours Sincerely,
EKK, Enugu

Dear EKK,
What you describe sounds very uncomfortably like Peptic Ulcer of the stomach and must be seen as such by your doctor until proven otherwise. Peptic ulcer causes pain in the belly in the region you described; although the pain could also be located in the upper middle belly; lower chest; right upper belly; middle belly around the navel or just all over. Secondly, the pains are worse in the night or when the stomach is empty--that is when you have not eaten in a long time. The doctor would like to do tests like a special X ray called Barium Enema as well as a gastroscopy to prove that you really have an ulcer. He might also need to do Occult Blood tests on your stool. Apart from ulcer, pancreatitis, a gall bladder inflammation or cholecystitis, hepatitis and pneumonia may cause similar symptoms.
Cheers

Dr.Caleb Bibbi Oluranti

No comments:

Post a Comment