Thursday 24 May 2012

Air-Conditioning Allergy?

Dear Dr, I (my nose that is) seem to have gradually developed allergy to air-conditioned atmospheres. I used to suffer perpetually from catarrh and cough until I narrowed the culprit down to my obsession for air-conditioning. I learnt to take it easy by regulating and avoiding direct blowing. But these days, my nose cannot withstand any air-conditioning at all. I’d be sweating and my body craving air-conditioning but I dare not put on the air conditioner in my office or car or house. I cannot go into anywhere there is air-conditioning. I now avoid attending meetings because of this and if I must, I inconvenience others by requesting that the air conditioning be put off. It has been like this now for several months. Surely you must have something to recommend to make my nose not painful in air conditioning? Thanks. Sweating Sammy, Surulere, Lagos Dear Sammy, We need help here -- allergy is a very likely yes but I must confess that you‘ll need to see an Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) surgeon who will be able to properly and thoroughly examine you to look for any abnormality in your nose. But you seem to narrow it all down to the nose when, obviously, you --nor anyone else for that matter-- sweats through the nose!!! Why do you sweat so? That is beyond a surgeon and would need an astute physician to elucidate. A good guess, with what you complain of is this – considering especially your stated craving of air-conditioning -- do you, like, have a fever-- maybe a Chronic sub-acute fever? This could also be the cause of your excessive sweating, although one would expect sweating to stop with air- conditioning. The least you can do is present yourself to a good physician for a thorough examination of your body, blood, mind and beyond to find what is amiss, okay? Could there be something extra-ordinary happening? -- does someone want your seat at work or is someone out to demote you? All of these must be thoroughly explored. Step over to see a good clinician. Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment