Sunday 23 June 2019

Treated Fever Refuses to Go


Treated Fever Refuses to Go
Dear Doc,
It all started about three weeks ago. Firstly, I started experiencing this headache and I felt it was the usual headache that will go by itself but, it persisted longer than I expected.After this, I kind  of started feeling feverish and it was at this point I took Lonart tablet 20 by 120.
 On a normal day, if I took anti Malaria drug, I should be seeing the sign of getting better on the second day but, in this case I wasn't responding. It was at this stage I went to see a doctor who asked me," what I had used", and I told him, "I'm on Lonart." So, he asked me to finish up with it (Lonart) and he gave me an injection of artemether (starter dose).
 However, I finished the Lonart but wasn't feeling better yet. I was then now feeling weak, feverish and headache (like my head is getting filled).
Therefore, I headed for the hospital again and this time I was placed on bed with medication. The medicines i used included: Ciprofloxacin  infusion ,Glucose and some other injection which I don't know. Thereafter I was discharged after I spent a night at the hospital, with the doctor saying I will get better with respect to time.
Futhermore, after I left the hospital I was getting better little by little but not absolute. So these are the signs I'm still experiencing:
1. My head getting filled up (I can't say if it is headache per se)
2. Feeling feverish a little (which can occur in the morning and not evening and vice versa)
Apart from these signs mentioned above, I eat and sleep well.
More so, I'm taking this herb presently, "Ewe Oruwo" or Neem tree leaves
S.A. Toluwalashe,  Igbetti, Oyo State

Dear S.A.,
At the very beginning of your illness, you talked first about your head aching you. At the end of all your treatment, the headache is still present. When headache is as prominent as this and the headache is a funny one – you are not even sure to call it a headache because it feels different; as if something is filling your head-- the first diagnosis I entertain is Typhoid fever (caused by a bacterial germ called Salmonella typhi) or Salmonellosis (caused by Salmonella typhi A, B or C)
Why not Malaria –perhaps malaria that has not been well treated; malaria that is resistant or some other differential diagnosis? Again, the astute physician has learnt that the patient that has a fever who begins his complaints with funny headache complaints is a case of typhoid until proven otherwise. Of course the proof is to verify or deny these suspicions by relevant blood tests. The Widal test will rule out Typhoid and the malaria parasite test will throw light on malaria. Duration of treatment is another factor here because while you treat malaria for only 2,3 or 4 days, you will need to continue treating typhoid for two full weeks with your antibiotics. Although, there are excellent preparations in Natural Medicine that are available, that treat both typhoid and malaria together.
 A good doctor who will take time to listen to your complaints will sort you out; especially with the help of laboratory investigations.
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment