Monday 20 June 2016

A Pneumonia or a Heart Attack?

A Pneumonia or a Heart Attack?

Dear Dr, 
I believe you can help clear up my confusion. I have had this pain I believe is pneumonia  on the left side of my chest right up to my neck on the left, for about  a decade now. I saw a medical doctor who told me it is a heart attack I am suffering and not pneumonia. The doctor asked me if I had any emotional issues and how does the pain react to such issues. I answered that there is a situation that pains me whenever I think of how my sister used me and dumped me; and  that the pain gets worse whenever I contemplate the problem. He sort of used this to confirm his suspicions and he wants to start treating me for what he called IHD or Ishaemic Heart Disease which says is also a heart attack. Doctor, what is your opinion? Is it a heart problem or pneumonia which I hear is of the lungs? Please help me
Okey Ginika, Abakaliki

Dear Okey,
The truth is that pain in the chest or abdomen can be traceable to both heat and lung diseases.But the characteristics of each organ disease, either heart or lungs differs.Lung disease like pneumonia will generally affect both parts of the chest; although it may affect only one. On the other hand, diseases of the heart traditionally AFFECT ONLY ONE SIDE OF THE CHEST WHICH IS THE LEFT. Again when you have pneumonia, it is expected that you will have a fever; the fever, generally will be a high one. Heart diseases generally do not come with fever  and when and if they do, the fever may not be so high. Cough will generally accompany pneumonia while you generally do not get a cough with heart problems and when they come may not be as prominent a symptom as with pneumonia. However, in this your case, the fact that your pain is on the left side and is linked to emotional issues will make most doctors think of the heart, rather than the lungs. I wager you have a condition where there is not enough blood arriving in your heart; causing ischemia -- not enough blood supplied. Ischemic Heart Disease is actually another name for heart attack like the doctor you saw said to you. I would agree with the doctor and start my treatment as fast as I can, if i were you
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment